Joint ATM/MA Primary Working Group
The Primary Group meet once a term, usually in London, with some email communication conducted in between face-to-face meetings. Members of the group come from all over Britain and comprise of a variety of roles in primary mathematics education.
Members of the Association of Teachers of Mathematics and/or The Mathematical Association that have a passion for teaching and promoting the learning of primary education are invited to join the group.
The role of the groups is to:
- Consider, and respond to, issues related to the primary mathematics curriculum on behalf of the Associations’ membership
- Consider aspects of mathematical pedagogy and generate and disseminate ideas for mathematically rich classroom activities and trainers in initial teacher training (for example through the Associations’ publications)
- Prepare position papers on issues relevant to the mathematics curriculum
- Promote the Associations’ publications
- Consider how to make it more feasible for primary teachers/schools to become members of a subject association; consider the training needs of primary teachers
For more information you can contact the Chair of the Primary Group, Alison Borthwick, who will be happy to discuss any queries you may have.