Creating and interpreting algebraic expressions with physical movements
Key Stage suitability • Explanation
|Grid Algebra - Single User Licence
Item Ref: SOF071
|Grid Algebra - Site Licence
Item Ref: SOF074
Add one now and change quantity, if required, in your basket later.
* Non-member price applies to both Associates and non-members.
New Software from ATM by Dave Hewitt
Grid Algebra is a new visual and kinaesthetic way to learn number concepts and pre-algebra at KS2 and to learn about number and algebra for KS3 and KS4. What is more, it supports more developed algebra ideas as well.
Grid Algebra Resource Bank
Please note: Grid Algebra is not (yet) available for Mac OS.
Learners build links between numbers and physical movements around a grid.
In this video clip Dave talks the talk, walks the walk...and makes the whole classroom process look easy. Grid Algebra is, without doubt, a sophisticated classroom tool that actively supports learning. How can I get hold of it? Grid Algebra is available from ATM.
Grid Algebra is a software package developed by Dave Hewitt to support learners as they develop their understanding of early algebra. Learners can be observed as they deal confidently with notation that is far from simplistic. The software enables a powerful visual, and dynamic representation of the ideas that underpin this aspect of mathematics.
Grid Algebra helps KS2 learners with:
• mental arithmetic and practising multiplication tables
• multiples, factors, negative numbers
• expressing formal ways of representing arithmetic
• finding equivalent expressions
• using a letter to represent a number and creating algebraic expressions
• expanding brackets, factorising, substituting, simplifying expressions and solving equations through taking inverse journeys around the grid
• plus much more!
and helps KS3 and KS4 learners with:
• reading and writing formal numeric or algebraic expressions
• finding equivalent expressions (including factorising and expanding brackets)
• substitution, simplifying expressions and solving equations through taking inverse journeys around the grid
• number work including mental arithmetic, factors, multiples, negative numbers, order of operations
• plus much more!
The CD Rom includes
• lesson ideas with prepared grids and worksheets
• computer generated tasks, with a wide range of difficulty levels
• an interactive grid to explore and design grids for whole class use or to engage with individual learners.
Screenshots, Worksheets, Ideas
Installing Grid Algebra
To install Grid Algebra successfully at least Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 should be installed. This was issued by Microsoft in 2003 so what follows should only concern users whose machine is over 4 years old. In particular the file ‘GDIPlus.dll’ is needed. It is used to process many types of pictures with great speed and quality. Note that this file should be on your system already if you are using Windows XP.
If, when you run Grid Algebra you get a message saying that there is no ‘GDIPlus.dll’ file you will need to download the file.
For technical support we need to know the software package concerned and as much detail as possible of your query.
Grid Algebra may be available as an instant download in the future, but is only available on CD at the moment.
Student Extension Licences
Universities and Colleges who own a Licence for Grid Algebra will be able to purchase extension licences for their students. The extension licences will enable the university to load the software onto students own laptop computers allowing them to use it in schools as part of their training and teaching in the classroom.
Extension licence per student (where University is an ATM member): £15.00
Extension licence per student (where University is NOT an ATM member): £20.00
This will allow the user to use the software on students’ own laptops and retain the software once the course has been completed for use in their teaching practice. An individual licence will be issued for each student.
Student details we would require are: Name, Address, email, University/College.
Please contact email@example.com to set up your licences.
Does your University or College not own a copy of Grid Algebra? Buy your Site Licence now to take advantage of this offer.
“Inspires teachers to hopefully consider how they work with children, what they say and don’t say, what their role is in the classroom and how children can and should work”